For the dressing
- 100ml olive oil
- 10g ginger (finely diced)
- 1 shallot (finely diced)
- 1 clove garlic (finely diced)
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 50ml raspberry vinegar
For the salad
- 32 dublin bay prawns (shelled)
- 4 avocados
- 3 heads of endive
- 4 oranges
- 2 ruby grapefruit
To make the dressing
- Gently heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a pan over a gentle heat.
- Add your chopped ginger, shallot, and garlic to the pan and cook gently for about 3 minutes till they begin to soften.
- Next add the honey and turn up the heat. When the dressing begins to caramelize and go slightly brown pour in the vinegar.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the remainder of the olive oil. Allow the dressing to cool while you make the salad.
To make the salad
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Slide in the prawns and cook for 20 second, no longer. Remove the prawns from the water and allow to cool.
- Peel and segment the oranges and grapefruit and set aside
- Cut the bottom stalk off the endive and separate out the leaves.
- Next peel the avocados and remove the center stone. Cut each half avocado into 4 wedges.
- To assemble your salad place the avocados, citrus fruit, and endive in a large bowl and mix together. Divide the mix between four large plates. Top each salad with the prawns and drizzle the ginger dressing over the top
alternative fish – shrimp or crab