- 4 tablespoons Castor sugar
- 1 Vanilla pod (split in half with the seed removed)
- 12 Cardamon pods
- half a teaspoon of dried chilli flakes
- 240 ml / 1 cup Dark rum
- 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream
- Crush the cardamom pods with the flat part of a chef’s knife and remove the black seeds from the outer green husks. Place the black seeds in a mortar and pestle and grind them into a fine powder.
- Split the vanilla pod in half and scrape out the seeds. Mix the castor sugar, chilli flakes, ground up cardamon seeds, and vanilla seeds together. You’ll have to get in there with your fingers and rub the vanilla seeds through the sugar mixture as if you were making pastry to distribute them evenly through the mix.
- Peel your pineapple, cut it into four, and remove the hard bit in the center to leave you with 4 pineapple rings. Coat each pineapple ring generously with the spicy sugar mixture.
- Heat a pan large enough to hold your four pineapple rings over a high heat. You might want to turn your extractor fan up full at this point. There will be quite a bit of smoke when you cook the pineapple
- Add your pineapple to the pan and cook it in a high heat for about a minute till caramelised and golden. Flip it over and repeat on the other side.
- Deglaze the pan with the rum (be careful when you do this the pan is extremely hot and will bubble violently) reduce down the rum till you have a nice syrupy sauce.
- To serve place the pineapple rings in the center of a bowl, pour over the rum sauce, and place a scoop of vanilla ice in the center of each pineapple.