- 600g strawberries
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar
For the sabayon
- 4 large egg yolks
- 110 ml champagne
- 80g caster sugar
- 4 large scoops of your favourite vanilla ice cream
- Cut your strawberries in half and coat in the castor sugar. Leave to marinade for about an hour.
- Bring a pot of water to a gentle simmer. Turn on your grill at this stage too, you’ll need it good and hot to glaze the berries later.
- Mix the egg yolks and sugar together in a large bowl before adding the champagne.
- Whisk the mixture till bubbles start to appear.
- Place the bowl over the gently simmering water (make sure the bottom of the bowl isn’t in contact with the water) and whisk the sabayon continuously till it resembles simi whipped cream. This normally takes about 5 minutes and you’ll know the sabayon is ready when it becomes thick, glossy, and starts to form soft peaks.
- Divide your strawberries between four bowls and place a good scoop of your favourite vanilla ice cream in the centre.
- Spoon the sabayon over the berries and glaze under your hot grill till golden brown.
- Serving Size: serves 4