- 1.2 kg (2.2lbs) mackerel
- 200g (7oz) cooked beetroot
- 1 sliced red onion
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of Olive oil
- 4 large bap’s
- 1 head little jem lettuce
- 4 plum tomato
- Grate the beetroot and slice the red onion finely. Add the mayonnaise and mix everything together to make the slaw.
- Remove the skin and pin bones from the the fish (you could ask your fishmonger to do this for you)
- cut the mackerel into a fine dice. At this stage you have to run your knife through the flesh chopping vigorously till it begins to look like a puree.
- Now you should be able to mould it into patties about 4 inches in diameter and a half inch thick.
- Put your burgers in the fridge to set for about 1 hour ( you could do this the day before)
- Next cut the bottom stalk of the little jem and separate the leaves before you give them a quick wash and dry.
- Wash and slice the tomatoes
- Heat the olive oil in a non stick pan and lightly season the burgers . Cook your burgers for 2/3 minutes on each side on a non stick pan till golden brown. Remove from the heat and drain them on some kitchen towels
- Now you can assemble the burger.
After you’ve made the burgers, wrap them in cling film and rest for a couple of hours in the fridge before you cook them