- 225g / 8oz unsalted butter
- 350g / 12oz rich dark sugar
- 4 eggs (beaten)
- 225g / 8oz plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons bread soda
- 300ml / 1 1/4 cup guinness
- 75g / 3oz cocoa powder
- 100g / 4oz chocolate chips
For the frosting
- 200g (7 oz) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 500g (1lb 2oz) confectioners’ sugar
- 150g (5oz) white chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 160c / 315f.
- Cream the butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Gradually whisk in the beaten egg.
- Next, sift together your flour, baking powder, bread soda, and cocoa powder.
- Slowly beat a little of the guinness into the creamed butter. Than add a couple of tablespoons of the flour. Repeat this process alternating between the guinness and the dry mixture till both have been incorporated into the batter.
- Add the chocolate chips to the batter before spooning the mixture into some cupcake cases filling them about 2/3 of the way up.
- Bake in your pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes till risen. Than allow to cool on a wire rack.
- While the cupcakes are cooling you can make the frosting. Melt the white chocolate in a bowl over some simmering water.
- In a bowl beat together the softened butter and confectioners sugar till light and fluffy. Than add the melted white chocolate and vanilla extract.
- Spoon the frosting into a large piping bag and when your cupcakes have cooled down pipe as much frosting as you dare on the top of each one.