- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of white wine
- 1 teaspoon of crushed peppercorns
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 250g (9oz) clarified butter
- juice of a lemon
- First make your reduction by placing the vinegar, white wine and peppercorns in a pan. Bring to the boil and cook till its reduced by about a third.
- While you’re reduction is cooking you can clarify the butter by heating it till its melted and allowing it to stand for a couple of minutes ( i use the microwave to do this). skim any impurities off the surface and then pour off the butter leaving the solids behind.
- When the reduction has cooled a little add in your egg yolks and water then whisk the mix together in a large bowl.
- Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk continuously until the sauce becomes smooth, creamy and resembles double cream.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and gradually, little by little whisk in the clarified butter.
- season with salt and a little lemon juice before passing your sauce through a fine sieve.
- Serve the sauce immediately though it will keep for about an hour in a warm place.
goes with any type of fish