- 400g (14oz) wholemeal flour
- 100g (3.5oz) plain white flour
- 1 tsp bread soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 500ml (1.05 pint) buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon treacle
- Pre-heat your oven to 160c/315f
- In a mixing bowl sieve together your flour, bread soda, and salt.
- Next mix together your buttermilk and treacle. Give it a good whisk to make sure it’s thoroughly mixed.
- Beat the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix the dough well.
- Place the dough into an 8 inch loaf tin, dust with flour, and cut a cross about a half inch deep across the top of the bread to help it cook more evenly.
- Bake in a preheated oven @160c for 50 minutes to an hour.
- You’ll know your bread is cooked when you tap the bottom and theres a hollow sound. Alternatively pierce the center of the bread with a knife and if it comes out clean then you know it’s ready.