- 150g / 5oz wholemeal flour
- 150g / 5oz plain white flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of bread soda
- 3 teaspoons of caraway seeds
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 225 ml / 1 cup of buttermilk
- Gently heat a pan on the stove, add the caraway seed, and roast for a couple of minutes till brown. Next, transfer them to a mortar and pestle and grind them up roughly to release their aromatic floral flavour.
- Place the wholemeal flour in a mixing bowl and add the crushed caraway seeds and salt. Than sive in the bread soda and plain white flour.
- In a separate bowl mix together the buttermilk, lemon zest and juice before adding it to the flour. Mix everything together to form a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead 3 or 4 times till smooth. Form it into a ball and roll it out into a circle a half inch thick, then cut in into quarters leaving you with four evenly sized triangles.
- To cook the farles heat a pan on a low heat for a minute or two before adding in the bread, Cook for 8 /10 minutes on each side till golden. Than remove them to a wire rack to cool down a little. Thier delicious smothered with real butter and eaten while still warm.