If you’ve got no shellfish stock than use fish or a light chicken stock. Failing that just use milk.
- 25g / 1oz butter.
- 25g / 1oz flour.
- 275ml / half pint shellfish stock.
- 275ml / half pint of cream.
- 250g / 9oz macaroni.
- 150g / 5oz crab meat. (picked through and any shell removed)
- 125g / 4.5 oz crab claws.
- 125g / 4.5 oz prawns.
- 110g / 4 oz parmesan cheese. (finely grated)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180c / 350f.
- In a saucepan mix together the shellfish stock and cream. Bring the mixture to the boil and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the flour. Mix the roux together and cook on a low heat for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the hot liquid to the roux little by little stirring your sauce continuously to avoid getting any lumps.
- Bring the sauce to a gentle simmer then add the prawns, crab meat, and most of the claws. Keep a few back to stick in the top of the mac and cheese for garnish. Set aside while you cook the pasta.
- Bring another pot of salted water a rolling boil and toss in your macaroni. Cook for about 5 minutes making sure the pasta doesn’t over cook. You want it fairly al dente because it will cook a bit more in the oven.
- Drain the pasta well and then add it to your sauce followed by 2/3 of the parmesan cheese. Season with black pepper and taste it to see if it needs any salt. It might not need any because both the shellfish stock and the cheese contain quite a bit.
- Transfer the mac and cheese to an ovenproof dish, sprinkle over the rest of the cheese, and stick the rest of the crab claws in the top of the macaroni for garnish.
- Bake your mac and cheese in the hot oven for 30 minutes till golden brown and bubbling.
Alternative fish – Any crustaceans. Smoked haddock or cod would also work well.