- 1 litre / 4 cups of shellfish or fish stock
- 1 live lobsters, weighing around 700g / 1.5lbs
- 12 shrimps / prawns
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 3 large banana shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bunch fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 230g /1 cup medium brandy
- 120g / ½ cup long-grain white rice
- 230g / 1 cup cream
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Bring your shellfish stock to the boil, plunge in the lobster, and cook for 6 minutes. then remove from the stock to cool.
- Next add your shrimps or prawns into the boiling stock and cook for 30 seconds, remove from the stock and allow to cool
- Once the shellfish is cool enough to handle remove the meat from the claws and tails, chop up, and reserve till later.
- Next chop up the shells and heads, heat your olive oil in a pan, and saute over a high heat for 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat down and add your carrot, celery, shallots, and garlic. Cover the pot with a lid and sweat for 10 minutes.
- Next add the brandy and cook till its evaporated. Than in goes tomato puree, thyme and tarragon followed by the stock you cooked the shellfish in.
- Bring everything to the boil and simmer the soup for 40 minutes.
- Once cooked strain the bisque through a colander into a clean pot making sure to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Add the rice to the shellfish bisque and cook for a further half hour.
- Once the rice is tender whizz the soup in a food processor and pass it through a fine sieve. Than add in the reserved shellfish, cream, cayenne and a pinch of salt.
- Allow your busque to simmer gently for 2 minutes so the shellfish warms through before serving.