- 40g fresh horseradish (peeled and grated)
- 50g mayonnaise
- 50g creme fraiche
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of half a lime
- 10g finely chopped chives
- 400g smoked trout
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 100g baby spinach
- In a bowl mix together the mayonnaise and creme fraiche.
- Add the lime juice and zest before grating your horseradish and adding it to the mix. Taste the mayonnaise at this stage to make sure you like the strength of the horseradish and if its too mild add a little more.
- Next season the mayonnaise with black pepper, don’t bother with any salt as smoked fish is naturally salty.
- Remove the skin from your smoked trout fillets and flake up the fish into bite size pieces before gently folding it into your mayonnaise.
- To assemble the cocktail toss the spinach in olive oil and place a bed of it in the bottom of each glass. Divide the trout mayo in four and spoon it into the glasses.
- Serve with some french bread that been rubbed in olive oil, garlic and then lightly grilled.
alternative fish – smoked salmon, smoked mackerel, shrimp, prawns, or crab
- Serving Size: serves 4