- 4 x 100g (3.5oz) mackerel fillets
for the marinade
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
for the dressing
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon of honey
for the salad
- 8 spring onions
- 1 cucumber
- 110g (4oz) water chestnuts
- 75g (3oz) bean sprouts
- 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds (toasted)
- 1 small bunch of coriander.
- First make the marinade for the fish by mixing together the lime juice, zest, sesame oil, and soy.
- Next toast your sesame seeds under a hot grill till golden and set aside.
- Cut each mackerel fillet into 3 pieces. Make sure their approximately the same size so they cook evenly.Then place the mackerel in a bowl and pour over the marinade mixing well.
- While your fish is marinating you can prepare your salad vegetables. Top and tail the spring onions then slice them up diagonally.
- Next cut the cucumber into strips lengthwise, use a speed peeler to do this so they’re nice and thin.
- Lastly wash and dry the bean sprouts and water chestnuts.
- Mix all the salad ingredients in a bowl and then add some sprigs of coriander.
- To cook the fish place it on a roasting tray lined with foil and whack in under a hot grill for 3/5 minutes. The foil catches all the beautiful cooking liquor from the fish that we’re going to use to finish the dressing.
- The fish will take about 5 minutes to cook depending on the heat of your grill. Once its cooked drain it well on some paper towels and drain the marinade into a bowl
- To finish the dressing simply whisk the honey and hoisin into the marinade and add half the toasted sesame seeds.
- To finish the salad arrange the vegetables on 4 plates and place the fish on top. drizzle some of the dressing over the fish and sprinkle with the remaining sesame seeds.
alternative fish – seabass or seabream