You’ll need an 8 inch cake tin to make this tart
for the topping
- 75g (3oz) demerara sugar
- 60g (2.5oz) butter
- 10 walnuts
- 3 pears (peeled and halved)
for the ginger bread
- 120g (4.5oz) flour
- half a teaspoon of baking powder
- quarter teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ginger
- quarter teaspoon of nutmeg
- 80g (3oz) dark brown sugar
- 40g (1.5oz) treacle
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 120ml (half cup) milk
- 60g (2.5oz) melted butter
- pre-heat your oven to 160f / 315f
- First you’ve got to make the topping for the tart as this goes in the bottom of the tin. Melt the butter then add the water and sugar. Bring the mix up to the boil and cook it till its a deep brown colour this normally takes about 3 minutes,
- Pour the hot caramel into the bottom of a your well greased cake tin and arrange the pears and walnuts around the tin in a circle. Make it look good as this will be the top of the tart when you cook and turn it out.
- Next, in a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices
- Than beat together the dark brown sugar, treacle, beaten egg, milk, and melted butter. Make sure all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed together.
- Than simply mix your wet ingredients into the dry. Again beat well to insure everything is thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour the gingerbread mix over the pears, walnuts, and caramel and bake your tart in the preheated oven @160c / 315f for about 40 minutes.
- To test your tart to see if its cooked simply pierce the center with a skewer or knife and if it comes out clean then you know its ready.
- Allow to cool for about 20 minutes before you serve it.